Job Announcement for a temporary position at the Middle East and North Africa Financial Action Task Force (MENAFATF)
Title of the position
Mutual Evaluation (ME) Expert.
Nature and period of the contract
It is a temporary contract with the MENFATF Secretariat starts from the day of signing the contract until the end of the ME and/or follow up (FU) processes that the expert has been assigned for. The end date of the contract will be specified by the secretariat.
Purpose and nature of the position
The key objective of this position is to provide the MENAFATF secretariat with the necessary assistance and to assume some responsibilities in the area of ME and FU activities.
The role of this position relies on working remotely and does not require the expert to relocate to Bahrain (the host country of MENFATF Secretariat). However, expert will be required to travel to attend onsite visits regarding ME process that he/she will be involved in. Costs of such travels will be covered by the MENAFATF Secretariat.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide the technical assistance to the assessors, other experts and MENFATF members subject to the ME and/or FU processes and particularly on explaining and elaborating the Financial Action Tasks Force’s (FATF) international standards and methodology.
- Evaluate the extent of member countries’ compliance with international standards for AML/CFT. The role on ME includes the participation in:
- Prepare an action plan for the ME.
- Prepare the Technical Compliance Annex, the scoping note and circulating the international cooperation questionnaire, as well as the primary analysis of the Effectiveness.
- Prepare the onsite visit and its program in coordination with the country subject to evaluation and the assessment team.
- Coordinate meetings with officials from relevant government bodies regarding the onsite visits, as well as meetings hosting representatives from the financial sector and government bodies.
- Prepare ME Report drafts based on the information provided by the country subject to the ME process, as well as the Key Findings reached out to by the Assessment Team during the onsite visit.
- Participate with the assessment team and the secretariat in the related ME discussions during the ME working Group Meeting and MENAFATF Plenary.
- Analyze the country’s efforts in amending its deficiencies to increase its level of compliance through the FU process. The role on FU includes the participation in:
- Prepare an action plan for the FU process.
- Reassess the FATF recommendations subject to the re-rating review in the FU report.
- Prepare a Recommendation Analysis Matrix.
- Prepare the Secretarial Report based on what was reached out to in the Analysis Tool (Matrix).
- Take all quality and consistency measures and circulate the Report on the international network and publish it after having met all requirements contained in the MENAFATF procedures.
- The Expert needs to be from one of the MENAFATF country members.
- Has participated in one of the previous AML/CTF ME assessors training.
- Has successfully participated in one of the MENAFATF second round’s ME processes with the MENAFATF, FATF or other partner international organizations. If this is not available, then he/she has to be participated as a reviewer for one or more of MENAFATF FU reports. If this also is not available, then he/she has to be one of those with a remarkable experience in the financial and/or legal, or/and law enforcement areas on AML/CTF.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in an equivalent major issued by an internationally recognized university.
- At least five years of field experience in AML/CFT, preferably in the government sector.
- Full proficiency in the Arabic language, and English to a large extent or commitment to master it during the first year of work (knowledge and mastery of the French language is preferred.
- The ability to build effective communication with the widest group of contacts.
- Strong writing skills and having the effective ability to work on various tasks while paying special attention to details, as well as the ability to follow-up with projects and their implementation thereof.
- Independence in work and cooperation with the Executive Officer of the ME team through the daily directives to achieve the desired goals.
- The ability to collaborate, coordinate effectively with employees of all levels to maximize performance, innovation, problem-solving and results.
- Broad knowledge of computer skills with experience in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations.
Applications are sent attached with curriculum vitae of the candidate to the MENAFATF on: email@example.com.